PILLARS FOR KISUMU COUNTY DEVELOPMENT
1. Food Security
"is a state when all people at all times have access to sufficient, safe, nutritious food to maintain a healthy and active life".
The County Government of Kisumu is putting in place steps to address the following aspects of Food security:
- Food availability: sufficient quantities of food available on a consistent basis.
- Food access: having sufficient resources to obtain appropriate foods for a nutritious diet.
- Food use: appropriate use based on knowledge of basic nutrition and care, as well as adequate water and sanitation.
What the County Government is doing:
- Promoting food security crops such as sorghum, rice, arrow roots, green grams, cassava, finger millet, groundnuts, beans, cow peas, maize, beans, soya beans, sweet potatoes, and Bambara nuts (Vigna subterranean);
- Horticultural and Fruits crops:For example Cabbages, carrots, chilies, squash, Sukuma wiki, onions, tomatoes, avocados, bananas, citrus (oranges and lemons), jack fruit, mangoes, papaya, strawberry, passion fruits and cut flowers;
- Creating a Supportive environment for food Production- bysetting up an Agribusiness Guarantee Fund (AG F), developing an Agricultural sector growth Policy, and Strengthening Agricultural Extension services;
- Promoting modern Livestock production through extension support services. Livestock include- Rabbits, Cross-bred cattle, dairy goats, sheep, pigs, guinea fowls, quails (aluru), ostriches, rearing Bees (commercial apiaries), and indigenous poultry;
- Supporting entrepreneurship in agriculture. For example by promoting Cash crops such as cotton, oil palm, sesame, sugarcane, sunflower and tobacco; and through Value-addition in several agricultural commodities including horticultural produce and Fruits, animal feed;
- Creating mutually beneficial partnership: for capacity building & technology transfer to enhance agricultural productivity
- Fisheries and Fish farming: Promoting sustainable harvesting of Lake Victoria's fish stocks and introducing fish farming projects in every ward across the County to meet the increasing demand for fish.
The County Government of Kisumu has devised strategies for growing the manufacturing and light industries segment of the County economy so as to:
- Create 10,000 jobs annually;
- Create wealth for the County economy;
- Nurture technical skills and know-how among the youth;
- Promote growth in service industry and other supporting sectors;
The County government is in discussion with a number of private sector investors to:
- Develop a Special Economic Zone (SEZ)- Kisumu has been earmarked for development as a special economic zone by the World Bank/IFC. The SEZ will house manufacturing, light industries, components and accessories processing as well as artisanal and craft units.
- Set up an Industrial Park which offers a range of fiscal incentives that help in reducing start up and operational costs thereby making exporters internationally price competitive.
- Explore and exploit mineral resources within the County- for example Limestone deposits found in Koru area and invest in cement manufacturing company within Kisumu County
- Enhance Agro-processing-such as fruit processing, essential oil extraction, vegetable processing and cereal processing, animal products and fish processing, milk and meat processing, hides and skins and fish products.
- Develop manufacturing.Areas for consideration include: chemical, electrical and electronics, building and construction, metal and metal works and motor vehicles accessories; pharmaceutical plants; component manufacture; establishment of a bio-fertilizer plant to utilize baggage and wastes from sugar industries (Chemelil, Muhoroni and Miwani companies).
Policies that are being put in place:
- Policyon County Agriculture modernization, resource extraction and sustainable, resilient, and green infrastructure;
- Policy for Establishing the appropriate macro-framework for encouraging investment and supplying capital through own resources;
- Supporting capacity-building and indigenous innovation in the sectoral enabling environment;
- Managing foreign investment through well-designed sectoral policies;
- Strengthening the indigenous knowledge infrastructure, including absorptive capacity and fast-learning;
- Strengthening policy transparency and effectiveness through natural resource accounting.
From the calm shores of Lake Victoria that offer incomparable sceneries to rich cultural heritage sites and magnificent wildlife resources Kisumu County's beauty is inexhaustible.
The County strategy for Tourism development involves diversification of tourism products and broadening the ownership base such that:
- More people benefit from the tourism industry,
- There is skills development to support growth of tourism sector,
- All significant tourism sites such as Impala Park, Ndere Island National park and other yet-to-be developed sites such as Hippo nursery, Kit Mikaye cultural site are fully exploited.
- Jobs are created
- Tourism sparks wealth creation in the County
- The County government is scouting for investors to grow International Conference Facilities to meet the ever increasing demand for conventions and exhibitions within the great lakes region.
- The County government will set up a Tourism Development Fund to support organizations through investing in events, projects and marketing activity that will attract visitors to Kisumu and stimulate the Tourism Industry.
- The County Government is organizing an investors' conference in September 2013- potential investments in tourism sector will finance infrastructure developments and support in the establishment of wildlife, sporting and cultural activities to enhance tourism experience.
4. Sports & Talent Development
4.1. Lake sports
Water sports in Kenya have not been fully exploited and developed as a leisure product. Kisumu County government will encourage private sector players to exploit the huge potential in Lake Victoria for water sports such as scuba diving, sports fishing etc.
4.2. Sport Talent Academies (for Soccer, Hockey, Rugby, badminton, boxing)
Kisumu County government intends to construct a sports talent academy that will sharpen the skills of players, referees and coaches and prepare athletes to compete in both local and international events. Kisumu County sportsmen have excelled in many sporting events and they can do better if sporting enterprise gets nurtured through the involvement of private sector players.
4.3. Film Industry
The Film Industry serves as a useful tool for tapping the artistic energies of creative members of Kisumu County and can be a vehicle for diversification of our exports as locally produced films can be marketed in other countries. The vast open spaces, awesome Lakeshores under clear blue sky, starry nights and misty moonlights and inviting camp fires offer prime destination for Holly Wood and global film fans. Many world famous films such as Born Free, Living Free, Forever Free, Walking with Lions, Lion King, among others have been shot in Kenya. The County government of Kisumu will encourage public private partnerships (PPP) on film production to enhance local content development is a viable investment option.
4.4. Kisumu International Culture and Art Centre
Kisumu County government has prioritized the building of a state-of-the-art Culture and Arts Centre for creative industries to provide a focal point for development, promotion and dissemination of cultural information, education, skills and talents development, research and cultural enjoyment. This will market Kisumu County as a tourist destination through cultural tourism, and also enhance the cordial relationship and cultural exchange programmes. The centre will also accommodate facilities such as national music archive, music library, and music concert halls, recording studios, music instruments, equipment and fittings for the facilities, storage rooms for equipment, equipment repair rooms, studio control rooms, parking space for vehicles and a restaurant. The centre will be put up through a build own operate transfer (BOOT) framework with private sector players.
There is no sector of the modern economy that technology does not touch and that does not rely upon the technology sector to improve quality, productivity, and/or profitability. The County government has earmarked the following flagship technology projects:
5.1. Data Centre and Disaster Recovery Centre
The County government of Kisumu intends to partner with private sector to build a Data Centre and a Disaster Recovery Centre to provide world-class services to both public and private sector operators. The services to be provided will include disaster surveillance and management and early warning.
5.2. Information Communication & Technology Park (ICT)
The establishment of an ICT Park has been identified as a key investment project to be undertaken under PPP. Kisumu County government will earmark land where the first ICT Park would be established. This will be a Public Private Partnership initiative where investors will be invited to venture.
6.1. Rapid light rail
Kisumu County government will construct a light rail to ease traffic congestion and improve efficiency of transportation between the Kisumu City CBD and other parts of the metropolitan including the Kisumu International Airport.
6.2. Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
In line with Kenya's vision 2030 all the major cities are preparing to become 24 hour operational centers. There is therefore a need to install surveillance cameras to enhance security in these cities. The Government of Kisumu County will invite the Private Sector players to support in undertaking this project. This will help improve safety and security and reduce the cost of policing in the CBD.
6.3. Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Planning and Mapping of the County
The County government of Kisumu will invest in Technical Assistance in institutionalizing a GIS based spatial planning and management of County resources.
7.1. Development of a dry dock port
The government of Kisumu County plans to develop a dry dock port within Kisumu city. The features of the proposed dry dock will include: storage and clearing facilities, and support facilities/amenities e.g. offices, banking hall, hotel and restaurants. This investment shall be operated under build-own-operate-transfer (BOOT) framework.
7.2. Lake transport
Lake Victoria offers potential for mass transport of goods and passengers across the region and beyond.Already the County government is negotiating with strategic investors to set up ferry and boat services, construct a shipyard and supporting rail system.
The County government is in discussion with a number of foreign investors who can develop, operate and maintain a number of multi-purpose dams across the County to store runoff water, support fish farming, enhance industrial activities, aid in micro-irrigation projects and generate hydroelectricity.
7.4. Irrigation projects
Alongside existing Ahero and West Kano irrigation schemes that have already been developed by the government, Kisumu County government will over the next 10 years develop newer small scale irrigation projects with high potential for increasing irrigation acreage, particularly for paddy rice, sugarcane, sorghum and maize production in Kisumu County. An estimated 50,000 Ha of land is suitable for irrigation projects across the County.
7.5. Mining Sector
Kisumu County is endowed with a wide range of minerals such as soda ash, fluorspar, limestone, barite, gypsum, salt, dimension stone, silica sand, soapstone, manganese, copper, zinc, titanium, lead, nickel, chromite, pyrite, rare earth elements and pyrochlore. Most of these minerals still remain unexploited due to inadequate knowledge on their status, economic viability and appropriate mining technologies. Already, an appropriate mineral prospecting and mining policy conducive to investment and Private Public Partnerships (PPP) in the mining sector is in place.
7.6. Integrated waste management
The County Kisumu produces an average of 300 metric tonnes of solid waste per day. Management of this waste through recycling will reduce environmental pollution and offer employment opportunities through commercial ventures. The County government welcomes investors in solid waste management. Specific areas of investment interests include waste disaggregation, sanitary landfills, recycling, and sewerage systems maintenance.
7.7. Construction of Low Cost Houses
Kisumu County government is working out modalities of partnering with private sector to construct and sell houses, including low cost houses to the people of Kisumu County.
The County government of Kisumu has prioritized the following turnkey investments to be carried out by the private sector players and civil society organizations promoting social entrepreneurship:
8.1. Renewable Energy
Increased use of solar and wind energy for industrial and domestic use will promote use of environmentally friendly technologies which will help in water conservation and protection of water catchment areas. In addition they will also reduce the dependency on oil-based energy sources.
8.2. Solar Electricity Generators
For solar panels, water heating equipment and solar electricity generators.
8.3. Wind Power Generation
Wind regimes along the shores of (and even inside) Lake Victoria can support commercial electricity generation as they enjoy wind speeds ranging from 6 to 13 metres per second. However, detailed feasibility studies would be carried out to determine the viability of specific sites identified.
8.4. Bio-Fuel Production
Bio-energy is the energy derived from various sources of solids, liquids and gaseous biomass, including fuel wood, charcoal, ethanol, bio-diesel and biogas. Bio-energy is currently the focus of attention due to dwindling global resources of fossil fuels and rising prices. Their potential to mitigate climate change adds their attractiveness. Opportunities in production and processing ofJetropha and sweet sorghum into bio-fuel exists within Kisumu County.
9. SOCIAL INVESTMENTS
9.1. Star health facility for health tourism
The government of Kisumu intends to develop a five star medical facility to promote medical tourism in the region. Medical Tourism is the act of traveling to another jurisdiction to seek specialized or economical medical care, well- being and recuperation of acceptable quality with the help of a support system to obtain medical care. Kisumu City has been designated a Healthcare City designed to provide advanced healthcare services including elective procedures as well as complex specialized surgeries such as joint replacement (knee/hip), cardiac surgery, dental surgery, therapy for rare genetic disorders and cosmetic surgeries. This will require massive investments from the private sector.
9.2. Education supported by tablets for e-learning
In line with the Kenya national government policy of rolling out one-laptop per child programme from 2014, the government of Kisumu County intends to put in place a private- sector driven e-learning system in selected schools across Kisumu County.
9.3. Water treatment plant to reduce incidences of diseases
In order to effectively combat water borne diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera, dysentery, amoebiasisetc, the government intends to promote water treatment technologies such as portable water treatment, ultra violet treatments, reverse osmosis, and distillation processes for both households and institutional usages.
9.4. Financial services for the Lake Victoria region
The government of Kisumu intends to transform Kisumu city to be an effective financial and commercial hub for East and Central Africa region. Financial services for consideration include- money management such as credit unions, banks, credit card companies, insurance companies, consumer finance companies, stock brokerages, investment funds and some government sponsored enterprises.
E-Services County Assembly County Public Service Board
- TENDER DOCUMENT FOR PURCHASE OF 1 NO. STANDARD PRODUCTION TRUCK MOUNTED WITH REFUSE SKIP LOADER
- ICT Tenders Advert
- PROVISIONING OF MICROSOFT SOFTWARE PERPETUAL LICENSES
- SUPPLY & DELIVERY OF LIVESTOCK BREEDS-DAIRY COWS
- SERVER ROOM REDESIGN AND AMALGAMATION
- STRUCTURED CABLING AND CALL CENTER
- SUPPLY AND INSTALLATION OF DIGITALADVERTISEMENT BILLBOARDS AND SUPPORT STRUCTURE & SUPPLY AND INSTALLATION OF POWER BACKUP (INVERTER & BATTERIES) AND RELATED ELECTRICAL WORKS FOR THE COUNTY DIGITAL ADVERTISEMENT BILLBOARDS
- MPLS - INSTALLATION OF HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTIVITY SERVICE (MULTI- PROTOCOL LABEL SWITCHING)