By Matilda Atieno
Primary schools across Kisumu County received deworming treatment in a school-based program, spearheaded by the county department of health together with the ministries of health and education.
This year, the National School-Based Deworming (NSBD) Program targeted 14 counties in which Kisumu is a beneficiary. The National School-Based Deworming program is an intervention that provides deworming treatment targeting children of ages 2-14 years, enrolled and non-enrolled school children.
Speaking during the deworming exercise, the county director for health, Mr. Fred Oluoch, stated that the one-day deworming exercise administered 400mg of Albendazole, one tablet per child, adding that the tablet is known to have no advanced side effects.
In an interview with Mr. Jeremiah Ongwara, the county public health information officer confirmed that this year’s exercise targeted all public and private primary schools, with close to 400 thousand having received the treatment.
Mr. Ongwara also noted that community sensitization of the exercise was done through community health workers and teachers.
Parents and teachers are encouraged to ensure children receive deworming treatment as evidence has shown that 44 percent of the children are less likely to have a moderate or severe worm infection and as a result, they are significantly taller, less likely to report being sick, and less likely to miss school than they would have been without treatment.
- About Us
- Kisumu County
- County Structure
- County Departments
- Public Service, County Administration and Participatory Development, Office of the Governor
- Lands, Physical Planning, Housing and Urban Development
- Medical Services, Public Health and Sanitation
- Finance, Economic Planning and ICT(E-Government) Services
- Water, Environment, Natural Resources and Climate Change
- Agriculture, Fisheries, Livestock Development and Irrigation
- Infrastructure, Energy and Public Works
- Education, Technical Training, Innovation and Social Services
- Trade, Tourism, Industry and Marketing
- Sports, Culture, Gender and Youth Affairs
- Explore Kisumu County
- Media Centre
- Contact Us