Kisumu political leadership have to day come together to express their support towards BBI a head of the planned Kisii meeting set for 10th January 2020.
While addressing members of the press, the leadership voiced their full support towards BBI , adding that the meeting is an important opportunity for the region to chart a way forward towards achieving a referendum.
The event brought members of the press, civil society and political leaders together in a joint communique read by Kisumu Governor Prof. Anyang’ Nyong’o resolving the following;
1. To unreservedly support the handshake and the harmony that it has brought in the country.
2. To support the BBI fully and the meeting of 10th January 2020 and other subsequent meetings to be used to push the momentum for the BBI agenda countrywide and accept that amendments can be made as the technical team will determine arising from the stakeholders engagement.
3. To support the referendum as the only means of effecting the various recommendations touching on the constitution particularly the governance structure that addresses the ” winner take all phenomenon ” which is responsible for the ills afflicting this nation and inhibiting it’s developmental potential.
4. The time is of the essence for the referendum process, and it is therefore necessary to gazette the technical team as soon as possible in order to take up any suggestions the regional and other consultation levels that are planned.
5. That as a leadership, we shall focus our energy towards ensuring that people at grassroots are mobilised to actively participate in these BBI consultations.
The leaders also vowed to continue with the conversation to the people at the grassroots, in a meeting that will bring together 6 Counties in Nyanza including Siaya, Kisumu, Homabay, Migori, Kisii and Nyamira to give direction towards the mobilization of the agenda.
Governor Nyong’o emphasized that Nyanza region shares the same aspirations, trading and development partners ahus the reason to spearhead the BBI conversations.
The BBI is a resolve of H.E the President of the Republic Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta and the Rt. Honorable Raila Amolo Odinga to spearhead and propel the conversation on BBI.
Leaders present included, Deputy Dr. Ochieng’ Owili, nominated Senator Rose Nyamunga, Hon. Olago Aluoch ( Kisumu West) , Hon. Aduma Owuor ( Nyakach) , Hon. James Nyikal ( Seme ), Hon. Elisha Oraro ( Speaker Kisumu County Assembly ) and members of the county assembly.