The Sixth Annual Devolution Conference was convened jointly by the Council of Governors (CoG), Ministry of Devolution and ASAL (MoDA), Senate and County Assemblies Forum (CAF) between 4th and 8th March, 2019 at Kirinyaga University, Kirinyaga County. In line with the overall conference theme “Deliver. Transform. Measure. Remaining Accountable’, the conference made the following resolutions,
1. The National Government and County Governments (hereinafter referred to as ‘both levels of government’) shall, within one (1) year, develop a policy and legal framework for harmonization of revenue collection by both levels of government.
ACTION: National Government and County Governments, Commission on Revenue Allocation (CRA)
2. The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) shall enhance their collaboration with both levels of government to produce data and statistics and Parliament shall, in six (6) months, fast track the consideration and passing of the County Statistics Bill.
ACTION: KNBS, Parliament, County Governments
3. Constitutional Commissions and Independent Offices shall ensure provisions on prudent financial management procedures are enforced.
ACTION: Office of the Auditor-General (OAG), Controller of Budget (COB), Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI), Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (ODPP)
4. The Penal Code and the Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act, among other laws, shall in the next one (1) year be amended in order to strengthen enforcement of laws and enhance collaboration and coordination of all agencies in the war against corruption.
ACTION: Parliament, AG, Kenya Law Reform Commission (KLRC), Judiciary
5. All State officers and public officers that are charged in court in corruption scandals shall, moving forward, step aside. Investigative institutions shall strictly follow the law in the execution of their mandate.
ACTION: ODPP, DCI, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), Judiciary
6. MoDA and the National Government Development Coordination Committee (NGDCC) shall develop a policy and institutional framework to facilitate coordination between both levels of government in the implementation of the Big Four Agenda.
ACTION: MoDA, NGDCC, CoG, Intergovernmental Relations Technical Committee (IGRTC)
7. Annually, both levels of government shall publish and publicize the implementation scorecard of the Big Four Agenda initiatives, including information on public finance management.
ACTION: County Governments & NGDCC
8. Since the Big Four Agenda focuses on four (4) devolved functions, the National Government shall, in the next budget cycle, allocate resources to facilitate County Governments’ support for the implementation of the Big Four Agenda.
ACTION: County Governments, National Treasury, Parliament, CRA
9. Both levels of government shall, in the next one (1) year, make substantial investment in cottage and agro-processing industries to create employment and wealth generation for women, youth, people living with disabilities, and marginalized groups.
ACTION: State Department of Industrialization, State Department of Gender, Ministry of Agriculture, State Department of Vocational Training, County Governments
10. Both levels of government shall invest in Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) to strategize, implement and evaluate the Big Four Agenda.
ACTION: ICT Authority, State Department of ICT, County Governments, Private sector, Development Partners
11. Both levels of government shall, in the next six (6) months, operationalize the existing Performance Management Framework.
ACTION: Public Service Performance Management Unit, State Department of Public Service, County Governments’ Service Delivery Units
12. Article 203 (3), providing that audited accounts be approved by National Assembly shall, in not more than one (1) year, be amended to ensure timely approval of audited accounts. For the other constitutional reforms, devolution shall take centre stage.
ACTION: Parliament, OAG, AG, County Governments, Building Bridges Initiative (BBI)
13. Political leaders shall ensure that the discourse of constitutional reform will be all inclusive.
ACTION: BBI, Civil society
14. County Governments shall, in the next budget cycle, prioritize responsive interventions towards adolescent and teenage health needs and gender based violence.
ACTION: County Governments, Ministry of Health, Development partners
15. County Governments shall, in the next one (1) year, establish County Service Delivery Units to monitor development projects.
ACTION: County Governments, Presidential Delivery Unit
16. Both levels of government shall, in the next one (1) year, develop a policy to guide water resource sharing across Counties and increase investment in water infrastructure.
ACTION: Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Water and Sanitation, County Governments
17. Both levels of Government shall, in the next three (3) years, convene a water congress for all stakeholders to discuss responsibilities for each level of government and concurrent functions.
ACTION: CoG, County Governments, Ministry of Water, AG, Senate
18. Both levels of government shall, in the next one (1) year, develop a Kenya Industrial Policy to support establishment of cottage industries.
ACTION: State Department of Industrialization, County Governments
19. Both levels of government shall, in the next one (1) year, develop strategies to reduce the cost of doing business in Kenya.
ACTION: State Department of Industrialization, CoG, Private Sector
20. Both levels of government shall, moving forward, partner with research, academic and private sector institutions to provide practical solutions for service delivery.
ACTION: National Government, County Governments, Universities and Research institutions
21. Both levels of government and private sector shall, moving forward, create land banks, mobilize privately owned land and provide critical infrastructure in order to unlock land potential for affordable housing and revenue generation.
ACTION: Ministry in charge of housing and infrastructure, County Governments, Ministry of Lands and Housing, Private sector
22. All County Governments shall, in the next one (1) year, enact Civic Education Laws and establish Civic Education Units in compliance with the County Governments Act.
ACTION: County Governments, Parliament, MoDA, Civil Society
23. Fast-track the finalization of the policy and legal framework in the next one (1) year on the County Regional Economic Blocs policy.
ACTION: MoDA, CoG, IGRTC, Kenya Law Reform Commission (KLRC Senate, County sseblies. AG)
24. All sector resolutions shall form part of this communique.
H.E. Mwangi Wa Iria
Co-Chair of the Sixth Annual Devolution Conference and the Vice-Chair of the Council of Governors
Hon. Eugene Wamalwa, EGH
Co-Chair of the Sixth Annual Devolution Conference and Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Devolution and ASAL
Sen. John Kinyua
Co-Chair of the Sixth Annual Devolution Conference and Chair of the Senate Committee on Devolution and Intergovernmental Relations
Hon. Eric Mwangi
Secretary- General, County Assemblies Forum
By: Mikwa Emily