By Matilda Atieno
The county Government is currently hosting a capacity building and competition project, dubbed ‘‘County Theatre Fiesta” the first of its kind to be held at the Mama Grace Onyango Social Centre in Kisumu County.
The County Theatre Fiesta project is an implementation of the National Government’s Talanta Hela Initiative under the Ministry of Youth Affairs, the Arts and Sports. The project is in collaboration with the Kenya International Theatre Festival Trust and Kenya Cultural Centre Incorporating Kenya National Theatre.
The training is a strategic plan to empower artists and promote talents. The initiative is geared towards monetizing both the Sports and the Creative industries by identifying, nurturing, and creating opportunities for different talents across the country.
This is in line with the Kisumu Governor Prof. Anyang’ Nyong’os’s commitment to supporting cultural policy reforms to establish a competitive theatre environment through the active involvement of stakeholders as well as increasing the level of professionalism and reinforcing talent through capacity-building activities and supporting the creation of networks among Kisumu theatre professionals.
To support the talents in Kisumu, the County Theatre Fiesta has organized a three-day performance at the Mama Grace Social Centre starting from the 8th to the 10th of September in celebration of the spirited theatre community in Kisumu County. The team is also pleased to highlight their talent under the theme “Theatre for a Sustainable Future: Telling Stories for Climate Action” which emphasizes the pivotal role of theatre in raising awareness about the impact of climate change and the urgent need for collective action.
The Shows Schedule:
- Amazon Theatrix Ensemble: Friday 8th September, 5:00 PM, presenting “The Voice of Sango” (Lake
- Kwach Rading Productions: Saturday 9th September, 1:00 PM, presenting “Achiedh Nade?”
- Ka’baba African Arts: Saturday 9th September, 5:00 PM, presenting The Redemptor
- Pamojani Arts – Apex Theatre: Sunday 10th September, 1:00 PM, presenting “Chilling with the
- Story Makers Society – SMS: Sunday 10th September, 5:00 PM, presenting “Melancholics of Nam
All are invited